Why develope a project for "API testing" when we can test it easy way?

Why develope a project for "API testing" when we can test it easy way?

Adrien007
I have been told by a DEV in my team that I just need to enter website's URL by appending a particular query in the end and if it gives ANY result its passing otherwise if it gives "we're sorry ...blah blah" then its failing.
For example If I want to test, I would do:
www.websitename.com/get_students_in_institution.json?page_no=1&page_size=1&institution_id=15&user_id=2471

and it would result something and if it doesn't its failing.

If its not the way to test it properly and we really need to set up a automation project, what we have missed?