What are the exact components in a framework.

What are the exact components in a framework.

Illusion0Reality
My understanding for designing a framework is:

Assumptions: 1. Application has 20 pages, and on each page 20 fields should be filled.
                    2. 5 test cases should be automated.
                    3. Test data will be read from xls and will be written into XLS.

1. Does the framework mean, Generic functions/methods which are independant of application.
      E.g.1. - Write results into XLS/ Notepad.
            2. - Error handling function, based on Err.Description/ Exception e's description, which writes a
                  detailed report in XLS/Notepad/something else.

2. Or, framework should contain the remaining page object class and pageobject related functions (if selenium). (if QTP page related action)

3. We need to rewrite /streamline manual test cases. I mean, we need to format the manual test cases into some format which should be compatible with our automation framework. (keywords, etc)

All the above should be called as framework development.
So, the effort estimates should consider all the above 3 things (some more like test bed etc..)?

If we say framework, does it have - pageobject class and functions + generic methods.
Or, only generic methods, which are independant of any application/pages.

Or, if we need to validate a list values, does this be considered as generic function (maybe, but I think this should be validation related function which is not part of generic function)

What are the opinions here.

Re: What are the exact components in a framework.

I have largely seen word framework being misused, especially in Indian IT industry.

You face an interview for automate testing and first question you are asked - "Did you develop any framework" and since no one wants to say no to avoid the bad impression, almost every one fabricates a story around framework. Let's understand two points about framework in general -

1. Framework helps in you in building something. Selenium (or any other automation tool/library) itself could be considered a framework as it helps in writing automated tests. Of course there are capabilities which are not provided by it as you detailed a few and almost all of them could be achieved in some way.
And when you do so you actually evolve the framework, that is second point -

2. Framework is not finalized entity, it evolves with needs.

I consider that there are two kinds of evolution you have with frameworks -

1. Application independent features, like xls example of yours which could be used by any one using the same tool and

2.Application dependent features, like you write a method which lets users sign up (using page object or other mechanism) using the supplied data. Now any one writing automated tests with you could use it for a given application. Of course such features can not be used out side your application.

Hence for me, framework can have both application independent and dependent features. Though others working on different applications would be more interested in application independent framework features of same tool.

About manual tests, you may have to format them so that your framework could consume them. There is lots of fancy about keyword driven framework though I personally prefer BDD style of writing tests like easyb.

So when it comes to effort on framework development, it should consider all of these factors.
These are my two cents and I might be wrong/misinformed

Re: What are the exact components in a framework.

Illusion0Reality
Excellent explanation!

I have now understood many new things. Easyb is very interesting, maybe, going forward, functions willbe like in that manner.

Compared with Modular, I see that Keyword driven is very flexible to complete test scenarios. Because there are no specific scenario based functions at all.

Only keywords and generic, validation related functions. So, multiple and different scenarios can be tested without writing specific/test case based/sceanarios based functions. This is the advantage, I see.  What is your opinion?

So, you say that QTP is also framework - (If selenium is so). Am I right?
Then, I have to say that, if I developed  functions, I involved in fw designing. Because QTP is itself a fw.
Right?

Regards

Re: What are the exact components in a framework.

Yup, you could safely say so.
~ seleniumtests.com