Universal Framework Development!

RaviSalunkhe
Hi Guys,

I'm planning again to build up a new framework which could handle up any web based application and which could be much more efficient, reliable, fast, smart, updateable & which is easy to use and implement.

I know there might be tons of such frameworks which are available and which you guys might probably be working on but then here i just want to focus on a generic thing. This is not specific to an application or an approach or any limiting requirement, its something which we could be using and deploying for any web based automation requirement.

I hope this thought appeals to you and you share in your views on the same.
Going ahead to make this thing more structural i would like to have you guys to share in your framework methodologies i.e. what kind of framework you use, what is its adv/disadv, what kind of application you're working on, what's the file structure involved etc.

Post in your replies on this so that we come up with a more furturistic and generic approach.

Regards,
Ravi Salunkhe.

Re: Universal Framework Development!

I suppose you are looking for tool agnostic framework, are not you?
If so then you may find it interesting - http://staf.sourceforge.net/

Re: Universal Framework Development!

RaviSalunkhe
Hey Tarun,

Thanks for your reply!
Well yes, the STAF thing is quite interesting but i'm here to get into something very relevant and very basic.
I would require your inputs on building the same as this could then be a standard approach to be implemented out everywhere.
Can you help me out on those lines...

Regards,
Ravi Salunkhe.

Re: Universal Framework Development!

RaviSalunkhe
Hello Champs,

After a long strech i'm finally done with the development of the same!...need couple of your inputs so as to make it more reliable and more flexible...

Can you guide me with the below points:-
- How should we keep the reporting technique(Excel/HTML)?
- Do we need a UI to intereact with the set?
- What more flexibility should we put in(Should support multi-browser etc.)?

I have tons of queries to discuss but will clear off with some basics!...
Please help me out with your suggestions guys...!

Thanks,
Ravi Salunkhe.

Re: Universal Framework Development!

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for keeping us posted. Is framework available for public download?
About your questions .

- How should we keep the reporting technique(Excel/HTML)?
I support HTML report as any one can open it using browser with out needing any extra software

- Do we need a UI to intereact with the set?
Did not get your question. Are you referring to UI which we usually see in other test management tools? Could you please elaborate more?

- What more flexibility should we put in(Should support multi-browser etc.)?
I am again going to ask you to elaborate more. It might also help if we could see what features are already available :)

Keep up with good work Ravi.

Re: Universal Framework Development!

RaviSalunkhe
Hey Tarun,

Thanks for your reply!
Well yes, it will be available for download but i need to check on couple of parameters before i do a release of the same.
Thanks a ton for your suggestions below as it would definitely help me taking the development of the same in a more defined direction.
So, for the elaboration of the queries i asked...i'm penning down my thoughts as below:-

- Do we need a UI to intereact with the set?
The thing i wanted was to encapsulate the tester from the code behind and let him interact with the UI to make his test case selections. After configuring couple of framework level settings for the whole set we should be able to just see the UI(which could consist of dropdowns, test case numbers and stuff) wherein he would select valid values and start the execution of his suite. A DotNet factory form of window which would take the inputs.

- What more flexibility should we put in(Should support multi-browser etc.)?
Looking at the current trend, there have been several requirements coming in which require running the regression pack on multiple browsers/multiple languages etc. These factors are not taken care of in many of the frameworks developed which get restricted to only project level requirements. So just sharing this out as i need to be sure i'm intact in all possible ways...to put it in a better way...a complete solution for all possible web based requirements.

With this, i guess i have cleared up your doubts and your in sync with me and with my overall approach!
To give a bit about the current set....

Features:-
- Will work on any web based application
- Is both keyword as well as standard inbuilt functionary framework
- Have many inbuilt keywords to get going with basic validations/clicks etc.
- Handle the object changing issue(For OR frameworks..as its a big tedious task)
- Multiple browser and multilingual support
- A basic and better understandable reporting structure
- Flexible in maintaining/enhancing/incorpoarting new advanced functionalities

Phew!...so Yeps, that's it from myside...lemme know if you want more insight of the methodology i'm working on and if it needs to be discussed more.
Thanks again for your time!

Regards,
Ravi Slaunkhe.

Re: Universal Framework Development!

RaviSalunkhe wrote
[...]

Interesting. I get the sense that this would be similar to what is encapsulated in test management tools which can be used to execute automated tests. By and large I think it would be useful for manual testers.

RaviSalunkhe wrote
To give a bit about the current set....

Features:-
- Will work on any web based application
- Is both keyword as well as standard inbuilt functionary framework
- Have many inbuilt keywords to get going with basic validations/clicks etc.
- Handle the object changing issue(For OR frameworks..as its a big tedious task)
- Multiple browser and multilingual support
- A basic and better understandable reporting structure
- Flexible in maintaining/enhancing/incorpoarting new advanced functionalities

Phew!...so Yeps, that's it from myside...lemme know if you want more insight of the methodology i'm working on and if it needs to be discussed more.
Thanks again for your time!
Lets' see when framework is out and we get  to have hands on it :)
~ seleniumtests.com