Need Clarification - CSS locators ( wrt walmart.com site )

Need Clarification - CSS locators ( wrt walmart.com site )

vikramvi
Hi Tarun,

Since last few weeks , I've started automating walmart website as I found it complex in web application

I've went through you youtube videos as well.

As you're also working on similar complexly built site , wanted to get expert opinion on below.

1. walmart has got <div class used majority of places

2. I've used 2 approaches to handle these
    2.1 javascript executeScript - crude way per me
    2.2 mouse over and later do action on intended element - just as end user does

3. some blogs claimed that CSS locator is most effective way to handle <div class elements.

4. Can you please share you personal experiences and also best way to learn & use CSS locators ?  Also am I going in right direction while working on <div class elements ?

I'm still not comfortable with CSS approach , any links to understand this thoroughly will be useful.

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram

Re: Need Clarification - CSS locators ( wrt walmart.com site )

Hi Vikram, you are right, java script is not right way of dealing it. Test automation script should exercise application as real user does and real user would not execute java script to exercise any element.
About the css locator, I assume that you have seen first and second video tutorial. But the best source to learn css locator is -
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html

Re: Need Clarification - CSS locators ( wrt walmart.com site )

vikramvi
Hi Tarun,

Can you elaborate more on points 3 and 4.

Thanks,
Vikram

Re: Need Clarification - CSS locators ( wrt walmart.com site )

hi Vikram, I am not sure what the question is and about learning CSS Selectors I posted a resource I find best - http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html

Please add on more information about "div" question
~ seleniumtests.com