How to start work with selenium web driver?

How to start work with selenium web driver?

vinodguneja
HI Folks!

I am new to selenium web driver. Please any one suggest me how to start work with selenium web driver.I have studied the selenium official docs but not get the too much idea.

Thanks!
Vinod Guneja
(Test Engineer)

Re: How to start work with selenium web driver?

Hi Vinod,

Welcome to group.
Could you describe more on the problems you are facing. Also have you worked with any other test automation tool in past?

Re: How to start work with selenium web driver?

vinodguneja
Hi tarun,

I have studied and worked with selenium IDE and selenium RC from selenium official docs.Now i want to learn selenium Web driver but i did not get too much idea from official doc of selenium to how to start work with selenium web driver.I have some question in mind which are described below

1.how to configure selenium web driver to eclipse ?

2. Which is better from TestNG or Junit for selenium Web Driver and and i have used junit for selnium RC to run the test cases. ?

3.please give me one example of selenium web driver to open the browser and type some text in It.

Thanks!
Vinod

Re: How to start work with selenium web driver?

Hi Vinod,

Let me try to answer your questions -

1. Selenium WebDriver configuration with eclipse is same as how you configure Selenium RC with eclipse. In face you just need selenium-server-standalone jar to to be added in eclipse

2. I would go with TestNG for two reasons -

a. Ability to run failed tests.
b. Ability to run tests in parallel

3. I had written a post on comparing WebDriver API with Selenium 1. This might help -
http://www.seleniumtests.com/2012/01/selenium-2-methods-are-no-more-weird.html

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Re: How to start work with selenium web driver?

vinodguneja
Hi tarun,

Thanks for you reply, i have one more question in my mind. i have go through the eclipse but TestNg is not available there. how to configure testNG in Eclipse.

Thanks !
Vinod

Re: How to start work with selenium web driver?

Please refer this - http://testng.org/doc/eclipse.html

Re: How to start work with selenium web driver?

vinodguneja
Hi tarun,

Is there any need of test framework like TestNG or junit in web driver to run the tests.I have asked that question because when i install testNG into eclipse then it is not installed because it given a some error then i run the test without test framework.

This is my test Script which i run without Test framework.I have included all the jars.

package com.example2.tests;

import org.openqa.selenium.By;
import org.openqa.selenium.WebDriver;
import org.openqa.selenium.WebElement;
import org.openqa.selenium.firefox.FirefoxDriver;

public class WebDriverTest {

        WebDriver driver = new FirefoxDriver();
       driver.get("http://www.google.com");
        WebElement element = driver.findElement(By.name("q"));
        element.sendKeys("CRICKET");
        element.submit();
   }

}

Thanks!
Vinod

Re: How to start work with selenium web driver?

Vinod, could you post your question about TestNG/Junit here -

http://manual-and-automated-testing.1070.n6.nabble.com/Test-Automation-Framework-Design-f3676163.html

As it is different from original topic. This help in segregating topics.
~ seleniumtests.com